What to bring:
Discuss with Roommates FIRST!
It may be better to each bring/buy different items you both want to use, rather than splitting the cost of these. It makes move-out and transitioning rooms in future years much easier. *None of the items on the list below are necessities except the fan(s) and fridge.*
DO NOT BRING:
Some packing tips:
- Start Early: Don't wait until the last minute. It's never too early to start gathering and shopping for any of the necessities listed above, especially if you're looking for deals or thrifting. Also, the earlier you start, the less stress you'll have when moving into Walsh.
- Don’t stress: You don't need to get everything before coming here. Plenty of stores in the South Bend/Mishawaka sell most of the necessities.
- (Flying here?) Pre-Order and PickUp Option: There might be some store chains that allow you to place an order in your hometown, and then pick it up in South Bend. For those who need to fly to campus, this may be a good plan. Both Bed, Bath, & Beyond and Target have services like this. You can also shop at any store online and ship it to campus after you arrive.
- (Driving here?) Use what you’re already bringing: Packing in suitcases seems easy, but space is limited. It's totally okay to pack in laundry baskets, crates, or plastic bags if you’re driving here. Blue Ikea bags (see above) are also a lifesaver! They are inexpensive, incredibly durable, large (but still carryable) and can fold up SO SMALL to store for future use when you move out again. No need to break down boxes to tape again or store large tubs. Also very sustainable!
- Shipping: Packages/shipments sent to the University must arrive after you check-in to the residence hall. Packages that arrive earlier will not be accepted. Students may use the following address format below. For more information, visit campusmail.nd.edu.
University of Notre Dame
Room #, Residence Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- Banking: There are many surcharge-free ATM’s conveniently located across campus, including LaFortune Student Center. 1st Source Bank and Notre Dame Federal Credit Union have locations on or near campus, and other institutions are located in the surrounding community. Click here for more info!
- Laundry: is now free on campus for all students, no need to bring quarters!
- Luggage Storage: We do have a storage room in Walsh where you can keep your boxes, bins (stacked of course) and suitcases.